Saturday, February 7, 2009

I don't believe in romantic love, I have no need for another illusion.
Yes, you can love someone. You can love your friends, your families, and your dog, so of course you can love your boyfriend or wife. But there's no such thing as being truly In Love. Love is an illusion, not that that's a negative thing, it just is. And to be In Love is simply to buy into the same version of that illusion. I'm not In Love with Bobby because he and I don't share the same version of the illusion of Love. He and Suzy do. So he and Suzy are In Love. And the day they marry and say "This is a dream come true", it is not a Dream Come True but a shared dream that they have acted out together. That Dream didn't Come True, those two people simple lived out the dream they both shared in their heads.
There is so much pressure to Fall In Love. It appears to be everywhere and with everyone you know. As if to be In Love is the greatest idea of all, as if it's the greatest shared passion there is. But it is just an idea, just an illusion. So much energy is put into finding someone that has the same version of the Illusion in their heart, someone whose heart projects the same image of Love that your's does. You can't rush a search like that, you shouldn't be discouraged when you go to bed at night without finding that person yet. It's an illusion, it's something that you dream up on your own and you can't be anxious to find it so early in life. Sure it happens often enough when people are young, but not always. To rush into something early and convince yourself that being In Love is something other than what it really is - a shared Illusion - is to settle for something that neither of you can be truly happy with.
Decide if you care enough about giving in to the Illusion. Figure out how your heart pictures the Illusion. Be patient while you wait to find someone whose heart pictures the Illusion the same way that your's does.

1 comment:

Emily Barnard said...

I think Hollywood love is an illusion.

For me love is revealed in so many different ways through different relationships I have. Love is reflected in many ways.

I think an all encompassing "love" in one person is false. The love of one person being a picture of all aspects of love is not true. I agree that is an illusion. An illusion the media has fed us that leads us to complete depression and loneliness.

For me G-d has given me beautiful pictures of love in many people. When I begin to create God's in people and rely on them as more than a human I hurt myself.

I believe love is absolutely real.
I believe love cannot be wholly embodied by any one human being... But love is real.